Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ahem...[inserts outrageous mexican accent]Tofu?....we don't need no stinking Tofu!!

Hey everyone...

I feel horrible that I haven't posted any of my new experiments. And my guilty feeling is compounded by the fact that I have a system set up so that I am making a new thing every week (Well I'll be honest there was one week I didn't make anything...) Regardless let me catch up for your benefit as much as mine.

Gingered Chinese Greens Stir-Fry.

1/2 Cake Chinese-style firm tofu
2 Cups packed shredded Chinese cabbage or Bok Choy(4-5 leaves)
2 Teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 Teaspoon minced or grated Gingerroot
1-2 Teaspoons water
Splash of chili oil(Book notes any sort of hot oil or sauce will work.)
1 Tablespoon finely chopped cilantro

Sauce
1 Tablespoon Soy sauce
3 Tablespoons Orange juice
1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Sandwhich the tofu between two plates. Top with a heavy book. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Remove weight and top cover, and drain water from bottom plate.  The tofu is now ready to use. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes.

Wash and thinly slice the cabbage, leaves, and stems. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add ginger and cabbage. Stir and fry for about 2 minutes. Add water, cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is soft. (2-3 Minutes)

In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Add the tofu and sauce to the skillet and gently stir until the sauce thickens.(About 2 minutes) Splash with chili oil and mix in Cilantro. Serve immediately.*

*Book recommends putting over rice or cooked noodles.
 ---
 I replaced the tofu with portabello mushrooms(Still cut into cubes) and the Bok Choy with regular green cabbage(since I had excess) And I used Sirache instead of the oil, but seeing as the book mentions this replacement it's not a big change.  And where I could, namely the brown sugar, I replaced for more diabetic friendly alternatives.(Splenda brown sugar).  Since the portabellos work differently than tofu when it comes to cooking I added them a little before the sauce letting them fry a bit before adding the sauce. As well as lowering the heat of skillet a bit to allow for a longer cooking time.

The recipe was delicious. I had it over brown rice which absorbed a good deal of the heat from the hot oil but left all the flavor. Not too say all the heat of the dish was gone. If it was eaten fast enough or without the brown rice you'd get a nice bite of heat. Also, since "A splash" is not clearly defined as an amount(Or is it?) you could easily add a bit more heat to suit your tastes.

All and all another successful recipe altered for the benefit of PKUers, Diabetics, and anyone else who wants to try these alterations.

Well that's it for now...look forward(or don't) to my next curious recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment