Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Power to the Portabello

Hey All! More posts on their way as I attempt to catch up!

And this next recipe is one prepared and cooked in a slowcooker. Great to get ready just before a particularly heavy work day or a long day of tests and exams.

Spicy pulled pork(Yes Pork...no i haven't become magically non-PKU)

1/4 cup Paprika
2 Tablespoons Chili powder
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
2 Tablespoons Salt
2 Tablespoons black pepper(ground)
1 Teaspoon cayenne
1 Tablespoon oreagano
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Medium yellow onions
5-6 Pounds boneless Pork shoulder
1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes

The night before mix the Paprika,chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, cinnamon, and sugar in a small bowl.

Remove excess fat and tough skin layer from pork roast. Cut the pork to maximize surface area between 2 pieces.

Rub spices all over meat. Wrap the spice-rubbed meat in plastic wrap or place in a covered baking dish and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning chop the onions into 2 inch chunks and place a few onions on the bottom of the slow cooker. Unwrap the meat and layer it on top of the onions below half of the tomatoes. Repeat onion-meat-tomatoes layering.

Turn the slow cooker on high for 6 hours. Serve immediately. The recipe can be turned down to low setting for an additional hour if needed.
---

This is a wonderful recipe and has the added bonus of making the home smell WONDERFUL. I replaced the pork with Portabellos.(Congrats to those who figured out that from my oh so subtle hint in the title) I cut the portabellos into strips so they blended with the onions and tomatoes more than they layered the three things. I also did the spice the portabello strips the night before, and it was a good call.(Had my doubts it'd do anything.)

Also on a note that is is my first Recipe that originally has meat in it. I did cook it with meat for my family and a simple way to do that is in your slow cooker place a glass jar or bowl(Of course make sure the slow cooker's lid closes) and in that jar place either the meat portion or the non-meat portion of the recipe. this doesn't affect the cooking time for the seperated parts of the recipe and everything will cook just as well as if you had mixed the two in the slow cooker. I'd made the full recipe and half of it was portabello-d and the other half was in pork for my family. I placed the pork in a glass bowl that fit in the slowcooker and put my mushrooms around the edges in the cooker it'self. According to my mother the meat cooked deliciously and i can vouch the mushrooms worked wonderfully.

Well that's it for now...look forward(or don't) to my next curious recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment