Saturday, March 10, 2012

Root veggies AWAAAAYY!

Hey all

And with this I'm all caught up with the recipes that I owe you all. I apologize it took me so long to get these past three posts.up for you all. Things snowballed once I missed one post(I intend to post by no later than Sunday every week because of how my usual schedule fits.) missing the others threatened to follow. So i'm glad i was able to get these up before I owed you all five or more recipes(I don't think I could post past 5 in the past for one thing.)

Anyway... Onto the recipe!

Vegetable Hot-pot with Cheese Triangles

2 tablespoons oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 pound potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 pound celery root, peeled and roughly chopped
12 ounces carrots, roughly chopped
12 ounces trimmed leeks, roughly chopped
8 ounces cremini mushrooms halved
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cup vegetable stock
14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
14 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
sprigs of fresh thyme, to garnish (optional)

Topping
8 tablespoons butter
2 cups self rising flour( I used regular all-purpose )
4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
about 5 tablespoons milk

1. Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole and sauté the garlic and onion for 5 min. or until beginning to brown. Stir in the chili powder and cook for 1 min. more, taking care not to burn the spice

2. Add the potatoes, celery root carrots, leeks, and mushrooms. Cook for 3 to 4 min. Stir in flour and cook for 1 min.

3. Gradually stir in the stock with the tomatoes, tomato paste and time and season, with plenty of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cover and bake for 30 min.

4. Meanwhile, make the topping. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers, then stir in half the cheese with the chives and plenty of salt and pepper. Add just enough milk to make a smooth dough

5. Roll out the dough until it is 1 inch thick . Cut into 12 triangles and brush with milk

6. Remove the casserole from the oven. Add the beans and stir to combine-triangles on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to the oven, uncovered and bake for 20 to 25 min.. Serve the hot pot, garnished with fresh thyme sprigs. If using

This recipe although a bit time consuming was delicious. It had a wonderful, full body, and the savory flavor of the dish really brought it all together. In this recipe. I of course replaced the cheese with a fake cheese( PKU friendly and all that jazz) as well as a PKU friendly flour,and I also replaced the kidney beans with green beans( canned, but I'm sure fresh would work just as well ) I imagine that if you used kidney beans instead of the green beans the dish would have a thicker feel to it, whereas with green beans. for the topping. I replaced the chives with regular green onions  and the milk with rice milk( I'm out of almond milk,  would probably work just as well or maybe better in this recipe) The recipe was soft, but not so soft that it was like trying the mush with a bit of sauce all the separate ingredients held their shape and were for the most part still firm enough so that he stabbed it with a fork. It wouldn't fall apart. (Though I don't imagine the leaks, or mushrooms whatever gets soft enough to fall apart if you stab them with a fork, and this is more a comment on the potatoes [speaking of which, I used a mixture of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes {thought I should mention that}]) with all the root vegetables in the dish as well as the broth that the conduct and the cover on top (the bread we can't forget about the bread) this dish is a wonderfully hearty meal that will fill you up easily.

A quick note(okay, maybe more than one), making this recipe for someone in your family, or someone that you know that isn't exactly okay… With the whole vegetarian way of life. This recipe would also go really well with chunks of meat(I want to say beef but my mother points out that it would work well with pretty much any meat) Another thing, if you use fake flour, for PKU purposes, the bread is not necessarily going to rise while it's baking for the last 20 to 25 min. do not worry about this I just added another few minutes to the end of the cooking process to make sure it was baked, and it turned out to taste just fine.

Well that's it for now...look forward(or don't) to my next curious recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment